Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


By: Ransom Riggs
Genre: Teen Fantasy & Adventure
Stars: 4 out of 5

Sixteen-year-old Jacob has always heard strange stories from his grandfather about peculiar children and the monsters. Always thinking they were just tall tales, he never would have guessed that anything his grandfather could be true; until he saw what murdered his grandfather. Trying to deal with this tragedy, his father takes Jacob to the remote island off the coast of Wales where his grandfather grew up and his eccentric stories take place. As Jacob begins to explore the island, he comes across the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. It becomes clear to Jacob that the stories aren’t just stories, and the children may impossibly still be alive.


I will admit that browsing on the B&N website is a very relaxing pastime I have. Since I no longer work there I like to keep up on all the books that are coming out and what’s hot to read. Now I know you are never supposed to judge a book by its cover but I definitely judged this book by its cover when I saw it on the website. By the cover alone, this book looked awesome. As you can see it looks so creepy with just this little vintage girl on the front. Then when I went to pick it up I say all these vintage photographs scattered throughout the pictures of this teen book as well. So after reading it, I must say I was not disappointed. It is a very interesting story and Ransom Riggs came up with such a clever concept when it came to the plot and the use of the photographs to help tell the story. And by the end, you aren’t really sure if that is the end. I hope there is a sequel to this book; I want to know what happens to Jacob and his bizarre friends. I would recommend this to anyone who loves the art of vintage photographs and a captivating science fiction story to go along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment