Tuesday, December 20, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story



By: Ned Vizzini
Genre: Teen Fiction
Stars: 3 out of 5

Craig Gilner is in high school and already constantly thinks about his future. He studied vigorously to get into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School which will put him in the right direction for his future. But at his new school he comes to the realization that he isn’t that bright compared to everyone else and he might not have the future he mapped out for himself. Craig becomes stressed with this new understanding and develops depression. Overwhelmed, Craig almost tries to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge and he gets checked into a mental hospital. There, Craig meets an assortment of people who help him come to terms with his anxiety and finds an outlet to de-stress.


One of my golden rules is always read the book before you watch the movie. Most of the time I stick very well to this rule, refusing to see the movie at all unless I have read the book. Other times I break my own rule, which is what I did with this book. My sister – the influencer she is – picked this movie to watch “On Demand” one night and I sat down to watch it with her. We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie and I decided to read the book; I bought it on my nook the next day. Of course it was different than the movie but the movie did stay true to the book as much as a movie can. I will admit that watching the movie first spoiled the book for me though. I couldn’t get the sequence of events or images of what the characters cast in the movie looked like out of my head. Because of this, the book just wasn’t as great as the movie was. But the concept was great and I liked the teen angst I was made to feel. High school is tough and for this boy it just couldn’t get any tougher. It’s a great coming of age story and perfect for teen’s to catch a glimpse of depression. I think teens should definitely read this book and if high schools aren’t teaching this book yet, they unquestionably should.

No comments:

Post a Comment