Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer



By: Jonathan L. Howard
Genre: Fiction
Stars: 4 out of 5

Johannes Cabal made a deal with the devil, years ago, to sell his soul in exchange for learning the laws of necromancy. Growing bored and frustrated with his occult studies, he wants to make another deal with the devil; Johannes wants his soul back. In order for Johannes to attain his soul once again, he must get not one but one hundred people to sign over their souls or he will be damned to hell forever. He is given one calendar year and a traveling nightmare carnival to acquire the number of souls he needs. Enlisting the help of his brother Horst, a magnetic vampire and a motley crew raised from the dead, Johannes must complete this task before the end of the year – or it will be his last.


I was shopping at Barnes & Noble one day with my sister to find a book that she would enjoy reading. Given she has different reading tastes than I do, we asked the bookseller for some advice. He suggested a few books, Johannes Cabal being one of them. Intrigued I decided to purchase this book on my nook; and I wasn’t sorry I did. Filled with wit and friendly banter, I was chuckling to myself while enjoying the mishaps of Johannes’ misfortune. Jonathan Howard tells a story that you do not see very often; that of someone selling their soul to the devil – and wanting it back. I suggest this book to any fellow reader who loves a good horror yet comical book. Although as my sister will attest, this book is not for those who enjoy a simple fiction read. It’s for those who want the intrigue and mystery of a nightmare carnival and a story about a man who wants to gain his soul back and will stop at nothing to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment