Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Lost Horizon


By: James Hilton
Genre: Fiction
Stars: 4 out of 5

Set in the 1930s, four strangers are kidnapped on an airplane and taken to a place they would never imagine. The plane crashes in a part of the Himalayas that is brutal and the cold alone could kill. Scared and alone, a party directed by a strange lamasery named Chang directs them to the mystical Shangri-La. There our main character, Conway, quickly learns the secrets of Shangri-La and he becomes tempted to stay in this paradise. But will he choose to stay among those who live in peace or will the outside world beckon to him once again?
This book as well as the notion of Shangri-La was mentioned and played out in the book I read before this one Tiger’s Quest. It intrigued me so I decided to read this book next. It had been a while since I read a good literary fiction that wasn’t from modern times and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It’s about a place in our world that you can attain peace and wisdom and essentially never die. Embedded in the harshest Himalayan weather, Shangri-La is a dream place where it stays warm, and fresh fruit and vegetables grow. The people are well fed and don’t think about committing crimes amongst their neighbors and the lamaseries watch over them. The language was excellent and even for being written many years ago the theme is still relevant today. I am surprised this work isn’t taught more often and one day when I have a class of my own I will definitely be teaching this work. If you want a simple, old-fashioned literary read try to find this one – it won’t disappoint you.

No comments:

Post a Comment