Monday, December 26, 2011

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account


By: Miklos Nyiszil
Genre: Biography
Stars: 4 out of 5

After the Nazis invaded Hungary in 1944, the whole Jewish population was sent to Auschwitz. Dr. Miklos Nyiszil was one of these millions of Jews. Fearing for his life, he stepped forward when Dr. Josef Mengele called forth the doctors from the assembly line straight off the train. Nyiszil didn’t know that he was in for something much worse than death; he performed autopsies on his fellow Jews for “scientific research.” This is his terrifying eyewitness account of living and working in Auschwitz and dealing with the “business as usual” mentality of the genocide.
I cannot remember why I decided to read this book. I had heard or read about it somewhere and for some reason it captured my interest (I promise you I’m not a morbid person either). I put it in my nook wish list and waited until it went down to $1.99 before I bought and read this book. Well it certainly mortified me. To think all these people were murdered and it got to the point that their mentality for the situation was “business as usual” was so revolting. Even words cannot describe the true nature of what happened and I don’t think anything ever will, but to read a man’s account of the evils that went on at Auschwitz is horrifying. So many innocent lives perished and the sky was always black with their lives and their memories. I guess if you want a different perspective on the massive genocide to the Jews, this book would be perfect for that. But be warned that it isn’t for the faint of heart; it will make you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment